Re: TensorQ

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20767] Re: TensorQ
  • From: "Yukio Hamada" <y-hamada at pop12.odn.ne.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:22:44 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

How do you do.

Sorry .  my Engilish composition is broken.
I am studying it now.

>I was thinking it would be nice to have a function that determines if
>something is a vector, matrix, or higher dimension analogue of a matrix.
Is
>something like that called a tensor?  I know almost nothing about tensors.

I think Your notion is mistake. (Excuse me)
Tensor is a mapping from a Vector space (V(*V)) to a real number (R).

  Tensor : V*(*V) -> R

For Example , there is the Inner Product (a,b). Here "a" and "b" are
elements of V.

(a,b) = cos*|a|*|b|.  (This ia a real number) (V*V -> R).

Did you learn at High School ?.

Referrences
   "Applied Differential Geometry"  William L. Burke   Cambridge UP.

For your useful.

PS:
  I connat understand MASMATICA.

<< Yukio Hamada  <y-hamada at pop12.odn.ne.jp>