Re: Running Mathematica under Linux Red Hat

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20785] Re: Running Mathematica under Linux Red Hat
  • From: Hendrik van Hees <h.vanhees at gsi.de>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:22:54 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Gerhard Wesp wrote:

> On 7 Nov 1999 02:14:51 -0500, Jordan Maclay <jordanmaclay at quantumfields.com>
> wrote:
> >I am planning to switch from running Mathematica 4.0 under Windows NT to Linux
> >Red Hat.  Is there any thing that I should be aware of???
>
>   well, it will run faster and more stable.  OTOH, there may be some
> features of Mathematica (like sound, for example) which are supported only under
> windows.  before you switch, it might be wise to check out the wolfram
> www pages for information on supported features.

It's true that sound is not supported directly under Linux. Nevertheless
you can use the new features of the Export command to export sounds to
some formats. So far I've checked only exporting to wav which works very
well.

--
Hendrik van Hees		Phone:  ++49 6159 71-2755
c/o GSI-Darmstadt SB3 3.162	Fax:    ++49 6159 71-2990
Planckstr. 1			mailto:h.vanhees at gsi.de
D-64291 Darmstadt		http://www.gsi.de/~vanhees/index.html