Re: Graphing 4D functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20843] [mg20843] Re: [mg20809] Graphing 4D functions
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 03:40:59 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Christopher Knittel wrote:

>I want to graph something in 4 dimensions. Just kidding.
>
>What I really want to do is graph a function of three variables after
>defining one of the variables as a constant.
>
>I tried the following:
>
>C1[X,Y,Z] : = stuff
>I then evaluated this.
>Z=.5
>Then evaluated this.
>Plot3D[C1,{X,0,10},{Y,0,10}]
>This doesn't work!!!!!! I also tried it with = instead of :=.
>
>As is probably clear, I am new to mathematica.
>
>One other question is,
>
>How would I right a batch file for this? And how would I run the batch file?
>I don't know if I have to keep evaluating stuff, or what.
>
>Thanks,
>Chris
>knittel at bu.edu

Christopher,

Working through some of Part 1 of the Mathematica book would probably give you a
better understanding of the fundamentals of Mathematica. Especially Section 1.7 and
1.9. You should use C1[X,Y,Z] in the plot statement instead of just C1. Also, then
you don't have to make an assignment to Z.

Here is a simpler way to do what you wish:

f[x_, y_, z_] := x y^2 z^2

Plot3D[f[x, y, 0.5], {x, 0, 10}, {y, 0, 10}];

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/