Re: unix font problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20143] Re: unix font problem
  • From: Jinfeng Liu <jinfeng at tw3042.cpmc.columbia.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 03:05:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"P.J. Hinton" wrote:

> The step that computes the value of the shell variable havefonts is part
> of the canned script that is created by the Mathematica installer.  When
> the X server is running on a host other than the one where Mathematica is
> running (as in your situation), the xset command cannot manipulate the
> font path as is done in the command script.  For your purposes they don't
> do anything useful.
>
> > I think that step was fine, b/c it did not complain anything about that,
> > and the fonts seemed to be added to my X server.
>
> What happens when you try the following in a shell running on the Linux
> machine.
>
> xset fp default
> xset fp+ <path to copies of Mathematica Type 1 fonts on your system>
> xset fp+ <path to copies of Mathematica BDF fonts on your system>
>
> The first path corresponds to the fonts that were in the directory
> SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1 (on the SGI machine before you downloaded them to
> your Linux machine), and the second path corresponds to
> SystemFiles/Fonts/X.
>
> Now check that the font directories on your Linux machine have been
> successfully added using the shell command
>
> xset -q

after 'xset fp default', the path is

Font Path:
  unix/:-1,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/chinese

after
xset fp+ /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/X/
xset fp+ /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1/

it's:

Font Path:

unix/:-1,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/chinese,/usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/X/,/usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1/

I think the scrpit was doing something on my X server, b/c before I
installed the fonts in my Linux box, the script complained

xset:  bad font path element (#8), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

Now xset is fine, but mathematica is still not running properly as I
described in my first post.

Jinfeng