Re: unix font problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20160] Re: unix font problem
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:07:32 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Jinfeng Liu wrote:

> > What shell command did you use to launch the front end on the SGI machine?

> It's 'mathematica' in /usr/local/bin.

Okay, it looks like you're not throwing in any special flags like
"-display".  So far, so good.

> It says :
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> #  Mathematica V3.0.1 command file
> #
> #  Copyright 1988 - 1997  Wolfram Research, Inc.
>
> I don't know whether our sys. admin. modified the original script.
> At first, the script looks for fonts, and executes 'xset fp+' and 'xset
> fp rehash'.

The step that computes the value of the shell variable havefonts is part
of the canned script that is created by the Mathematica installer.  When
the X server is running on a host other than the one where Mathematica is
running (as in your situation), the xset command cannot manipulate the
font path as is done in the command script.  For your purposes they don't
do anything useful.

> I think that step was fine, b/c it did not complain anything about that,
> and the fonts seemed to be added to my X server.

What happens when you try the following in a shell running on the Linux
machine.

xset fp default
xset fp+ <path to copies of Mathematica Type 1 fonts on your system>
xset fp+ <path to copies of Mathematica BDF fonts on your system>

The first path corresponds to the fonts that were in the directory
SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1 (on the SGI machine before you downloaded them to
your Linux machine), and the second path corresponds to
SystemFiles/Fonts/X.

Now check that the font directories on your Linux machine have been
successfully added using the shell command

xset -q

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com