Re: Defining new Forms

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20305] Re: Defining new Forms
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 20:20:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Eckhard,

whats wrong with FullForm[] and First[] ?

The general rule in Matheamtica is that

- if someone really want to see the internal data representation
  he has to use FullForm[]

It is not clear why you introduce the ListForm[]. Since Mathematica has
no ListForm[] primitive it will ignore Format[_,ListForm] statements.

If you realy need the first argument of your LargeObject[] you can
simply
call First[LargeObject[_,_]]. This is the typical way to acess the data
in
Graphics[] objects ..

So you can use

obj // First

and get what you want without any additional formats.

Hope that helps
  Jens

Eckhard Hennig wrote:

> Hi, I would greatly appreciate some help on the following problem with
> Mathematica 3.0's expression formatting functionality. Assume that we have
> objects of the form
>
> LargeObject[lst, stuff]

SNIPP SNAPP

> So far, no problem. Now, I also want to be able to display a LargeObject
> such that the user data "lst" is shown in its natural form, i.e. as a list
> in StandardForm(!), using a new format type "ListForm" as illustrated below.
>
> In[2]:= obj // ListForm
>
> Out[2]//ListForm= {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}
>
> Although I experimented a lot with formatting rules, I was not able to
> produce exactly what I want. The definition
>
> Format[ListForm[LargeObject[a_,b_]]] := a
>
> returns the list but without the //ListForm suffix in the cell label,
> whereas the definition

SNIP SNAP