OOP in Mathematica -- please help a newbie

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20347] OOP in Mathematica -- please help a newbie
  • From: Joe Strout <joe at strout.net>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 00:47:39 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to discover if and how Mathematica supports object-oriented
programming.  I just got v4.0, and a search in the master index points
me to the Mathematica Book, section 2.4.10.  But clicking the link
jumps me to the bottom of that page, and scrolling up to that actual
section, I find it's called "Associating Definitions with Different
Symbols" and there is no mention of object-oriented programming.

Is there a bug in the master index, or do I need to read between the
lines, or what?

I also downloaded "Classes.m" from MathSource, a package from 1993
which claims to add OOP capability to Mathematica.  I opened this in
Mathematica and did "Evaluate Notebook"; it generated a number of
warnings (which now, for some reason, seem to be gone -- but they
appeared to be mostly similar-name warningns).  Is this what I should
be using, or is this now obsolete?  (The warnings, and the fact that
it's from 1993, make me suspicious.)

Thanks for any pointers!
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe at strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |
Check out the Mac Web Directory!    http://www.strout.net/macweb.cgi