Re: OOP in Mathematica -- please help a newbie

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20410] Re: [mg20347] OOP in Mathematica -- please help a newbie
  • From: "Joseph J. Strout" <joe at strout.net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:32:59 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 1:19 PM +0900 10/17/99, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

>You are wrong about the Mathematica Book. Here is the relevant passage from
>section 2.4.10:
>
>You can think of upvalues as a way to implement certain aspects of
>object-oriented programming.

You're right, there it is at the bottom.  Now the mystery is, why
doesn't "Find" work?  When I'm on this page -- even when I'm looking
right at this passage -- I hit command-F to bring up the Find dialog,
type in "object-oriented" (without the quotes) with "ignore case" and
"wrap around" checked, and click Next, and Mathematica just beeps at
me.

Hmm, it does work if I search for just "oriented", though...

Ugh, now I see the problem.  I have to search for
"object\[Hyphen]oriented".  I can understand why it's like this, but
it's still a nuisance -- I hope that eventually they can make a "-"
in the find box match a minus, a hyphen, or a dash, as the naive user
would expect.

Thanks,
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe at strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |