Re: Wavelet Explorer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19567] Re: Wavelet Explorer
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <atulksharma at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 23:07:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Wavelet Explorer, which I've used for about a year now, is a well integrated
package, with a user manual that is actually nice introduction to wavelet
theory if you're new to it (not really enough to justify the price on this
basis alone though :)

It's main limitation in my mind has to do with it's almost exclusive
emphasis on the discrete wavelet transform. While this may be a big selling
point for wavelets in real-time digital compression or signal analysis, it
ignores the equally important application of the continuous wavelet
transform to 'off-line' data analysis, where redundancy isn't enough of a
hindrance and improved resolution is desirable.  If your application is the
latter, you will likely need to write custom routines , which Mathematica is
well suited to implement.

A. Sharma