RE: Transparent plot color?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19630] RE: [mg19600] Transparent plot color?
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 04:20:44 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

MM at chi_town.chinalake.navy.mil  wrote:
---------------------------------------
I use Plot3D[ ] to plot 2 surfaces together,
one mostly obscuring the other.
I would like to set the front-most plot's
DefaultColor to "Transparent", so I could
see its grid lines, but see the other plot
behind it.

I haven't seen any way to do this.
Is it possible?

p.s. Even better would be to be able to set
it to a translucent color.

A demonstration of how to simulate transparent colored graphics is given at
http://support.wolfram.com/Graphics/ThreeD/Transparency.html

Also the following will make a graphics using a transparent wire mesh.

gr1=Plot3D[Sin[x y],{x,0,Pi},{y,0,Pi},
     HiddenSurface->False];

However, I can't get the transparent wire mesh to work when I try to show
the graph above and another graphic made with Plot3D.  Any ideas on how to
get that working?

Regards,
Ted Ersek

For Mathematica tips, tricks see