Re: space disappears when printing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19722] Re: space disappears when printing
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 02:40:55 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7redi4$47p at smc.vnet.net>, Henrik Weimer <henrik at rice.edu> writes:

>I am using Mathematica 4 to do most of my technical writing. I write
>lots of (fully justified) text with inline equations and then print them
>to a PostScript printer (Xerox N32 which has Adobe PS3). I commonly do
>check "include Mathematica fonts" when printing.
>
>Now, sometimes but not always, there are spaces missing between words in
>the printout where there definitely are spaces in the notebook. What is
>causing these blanks to disappear and what can be done to prevent this?

Check to see if you are hyphenating words with the minus "-" character
near the instance of the disappeared space.  This seems to happen with
notebooks created by the X window-based front end the the cases of
fonts with proportional spacing.  I'm not sure exactly why this is so,
but it is very easy to work around.  Replace the minus characters with
the \[Hyphen] (or \[Dash], if more appropriate).  This will avoid the
messup in the font metric calculation that results in the missing
spaces.

If this diagnosis is not appropriate, or if you think I have
misunderstood your question in some sense, please let me know.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.