Re: Re: Mathematica can't win against Tiger Woods

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19735] Re: [mg19687] Re: Mathematica can't win against Tiger Woods
  • From: Klamser at t-online.de (Klamser)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 02:41:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think it is very amusing, talking about the time Mathematica needs to
solve your problem.
What have you done 10 - 12 years ago? If you are faster by hand, use
your hands.

I think it is a real wonder, modern CAM (Computer aides Mathematics)
programs solve such complex problems at all. And not only Mathematica
does it, also others. Some say, that artificial
intelligence never comes. I think CAM is a good start.

If I read Roman E. Maders Mathematicas Programmer II and see the extreme
simple sort algorithms on page 16, I think it is not the problem of some
seconds for solving a problem. I think the problem is to understand the
pattern matching algorithm of Mathematica. Or look at Visual DSolve by
Dan Schwalbe & Stan Wagon. It is astonishing to see the object
orientated methods of mathematica makes it possible to use the graphic
output of Mathematica to solve a problem with other numeric methods.
That does not work with any other object oriented language (I know).

Nothing is perfect, Mathematica is not perfect. Wolfram should do more
to eliminate errors and give the error free code to everyone (not only
premier service members or good friends like Jens-Peer Kuska).
Mathematica 3.0 was a good value for the money. Mathematica 4.0 has
corrected many errors. The new features: Was that a good value for the
money?

But discussing about the time is not useful. Try to discuss about