Re: Displaying equations in Graphics3D Text primitives

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19974] Re: Displaying equations in Graphics3D Text primitives
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:26:22 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7sa4ru$mc7 at smc.vnet.net>, "G. Raymond Brown" <gbrown at cau.edu> writes:

>I would like to have the Text primitive in Graphic3D display equations,
>for example " rho = k r ^ -2", where "rho" is the lowercase Greek
>letter, etc. M insists on stripping away the greek letters, equal signs,
>and minus signs - maybe more such symbols that I haven't yet
>encountered. So far, my experimenting with options and StyleForm have
>produced no improvement. Are there any suggestions?

You could try something like this:

Show[Graphics3D[
    Text[DisplayForm[
        FormBox[StyleBox[MakeBoxes[\[Rho] = k r^2, TraditionalForm],
            FontFamily -> "Times", FontSize -> 36], TraditionalForm]],

Be aware that if you export this graphic as an EPS file, you'll need
to make sure that your PostScript rendering device has access to
the Math fonts.  There are FAQs at the Wolfram Research Technical
Support website which address this question.

http://support.wolfram.com/Graphics/Formats/EPS/index.html

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com