Re: Displaying equations in Graphics3D Text primitives

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19973] Re: Displaying equations in Graphics3D Text primitives
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:26:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

G. Raymond Brown wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> I'm a new Mathematica user, and have enjoyed (and begun to use) many of
> your submissions. Thank you all for your interest and expertise.
>
> I would like to have the Text primitive in Graphic3D display equations,
> for example " rho = k r ^ -2", where "rho" is the lowercase Greek
> letter, etc. M insists on stripping away the greek letters, equal signs,
> and minus signs - maybe more such symbols that I haven't yet
> encountered. So far, my experimenting with options and StyleForm have
> produced no improvement. Are there any suggestions?
>
> --
> G. Raymond Brown, Ph.D. gbrown at cau.edu http://galaxy.cau.edu/gbrown/
> Assoc. Prof. of Physics
> Clark Atlanta University

The problem might be that "rho = k r ^-2" is an assignment which
returns the value (which is assigned to the variable rho, whether
it is "rho" or the greek symbol). In order indicate an equation
you have to use "==". However, this might evaluate to True or False.
Thus, the thing to do is to wrap the expression in HoldForm[] in
order prevent it from being evaluated. Here is an example:

\!\(\(Show[
      Graphics3D[
        Text[StyleForm[HoldForm[\[Rho] = k\ r\^\(-2\)],
            FontSize -> 24], \ {0, 0, 0}],
        FormatType -> TraditionalForm]];\)\)

However, I am not sure, whether this is really related to your problem.
(I guess it is often useful to include the Mathematica which does
not work, as it usually describes the problem much more precisely than
one can do in English.)

Hope this helps

Martin Kraus