Re: fractions as axes-labels?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20016] Re: fractions as axes-labels?
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 02:40:44 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7se534$qqs at smc.vnet.net>, Robert <robert at gte.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

>I can't get any fractions as labels on axes, e.g.
>
>Plot[Sin[t],{t,0,2 Pi},
>AxesLabel->{None,HoldForm[TraditionalForm[t/T]]}]
>
>doesn't work. with "why the beep" I get the answer:
>
>" the stretchable character xxx in the xxx font has a repeating piece
>that is zero size ",
>
>but if I change the font, it still doesn't work. right now I have a
>mathematica-book on my desk, where much more complicated examples are
>shown, so in principle it should work. has anybody an idea what I do
>wrong?

I suspect that the piece of this puzzle that is making the front
end wig out is the fraction bar, though I cannot be absolutely
certain why.

I was not able to reproduce the error message you describe on
a Mathematica 4.0.1 front end running under X Window/Linux.

Changing the font used with TextStyle or something similar
won't help because the fraction bar is drawn from the
Math fonts that come with Mathematica and are used regardless
of choice of text font.

When you say "doesn't work," does that mean that the front end
does not create a cell containing the graphic?  If so, what is
returned by evaluating the expression above?

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.