Re: Needs[] and <<

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23077] Re: Needs[] and <<
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:00:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

<< is a special input form for Get.

<<name reads in a file, evaluating each expression in it, and returning
the last one.

Needs["context`", "file"] loads file if the specified context is not
already in $Packages.

But you probably knew that difference.  As to reasons The Book uses the
first rather than the second, I can only speculate.  Shorter to type,
for one; does no harm (except for some wasted time), for another.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Univ. of Massachusetts                     413 545-2859 (W)
Amherst, MA 01003-4515