Startup Notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23156] Startup Notebook?
  • From: James Fuite and Tania Nordli <jfuite at UAlberta.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 03:21:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Advanced Mathematica Users,

    I have a particular notebook that I would like Mathematica to open
during startup.
In Mathematica 3.0 on MacOS 8.1, one can take the following actions in
the front end: File | Notebooks (where recently used notebooks are
found) | modify this menu | (select a particular notebook name from the
list then press) Edit | then there is a checkbox that simply allows
Mathematica to open the indicated notebook during future program start
ups.  This works fine, such that upon subsequent program initiations,
the appropriate notebook is lauched, except that the usual blank default
untitled startup notebook is there (on top), ruining any sense of
elegance.  How do I stop Mathematica from bringing up the blank default
untitled notebook during start up?

    The above question is what I desire answered, so don't be distracted
by the following lesser observations and questions unless you are
interested.

    In trying to answer the above question myself, I seached the
archives as well as I could for hints.  I found two other questions
similar to mine that both went unanswered (mg5419 and mg9126).  It is
curious that we all have the same Mathematica version on the same OS.
My secondary questions are:  Does the Format | Option Inspector |
Global Options | File Locations | AutoloadPath setting work for
Mathematica 3.0 on MacOS?  Can I place notebooks (init.m or otherwise)
in the last folder of the AutoloadPath directory and expect them to be
lauched automatically?  I ask this because notebooks in such folders do
not launch for me now.

     Sincerely,
     James J. Fuite.