Re: Startup Notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23181] Re: Startup Notebook?
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 00:47:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <8dnvvk$huh at smc.vnet.net>,
 James Fuite and Tania Nordli <jfuite at ualberta.ca> writes:

>     I have a particular notebook that I would like Mathematica to open
> during startup.
> In Mathematica 3.0 on MacOS 8.1, one can take the following actions in
> the front end: File | Notebooks (where recently used notebooks are
> found) | modify this menu | (select a particular notebook name from the
> list then press) Edit | then there is a checkbox that simply allows
> Mathematica to open the indicated notebook during future program start
> ups.  This works fine, such that upon subsequent program initiations,
> the appropriate notebook is lauched, except that the usual blank default
> untitled startup notebook is there (on top), ruining any sense of
> elegance.  How do I stop Mathematica from bringing up the blank default
> untitled notebook during start up?

I think you misunderstand this feature.  The file names listed on
the File -> Notebooks submenu allow a user to quickly reload a
recently-used notebook.  It is not intended to be a list of
notebooks that should be opened automatically at start-up.  The
ability to edit the list allows you to specify notebooks that
you may need to use frequently but have not yet opened.

Unless the front end is launched with an explicit command to open
a notebook through one of the following methods:

o Under MacOS and Windows, drag a notebook file icon onto an alias
or shortcut icon that points to the front end executable.

o On Unix systems or with the Windows command prompt, invoke the
command to launch Mathematica with the file name as a command line
argument.

the front end will inevitably start with an empty, untitled notebook
of a given size using the default style definitions.  This is hard-
coded behavior and cannot be altered.

> My secondary questions are:  Does the Format | Option Inspector |
> Global Options | File Locations | AutoloadPath setting work for
> Mathematica 3.0 on MacOS?  Can I place notebooks (init.m or otherwise)
> in the last folder of the AutoloadPath directory and expect them to be
> lauched automatically?  I ask this because notebooks in such folders do
> not launch for me now.

The option of which you speak lists directories in which the front end
should search for directories named FrontEnd.  In such directories,
the front end will read and parse the init.m file that resides therein.
Each front end can contain only a single SetOptions[] command that
specifies the options that are to be set at the global scope.  In
essence, the front end init.m files are preference files.  They cannot
execute arbitrary front end manipulation commands.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.