A Functional Programming Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24705] A Functional Programming Question
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:19:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear MathGroup,

Suppose I have three equations.

eqns = {a x == 0, b y == 0, c z == 0};

I want to divide out the constants a, b, and c. I can do it this way:

eqns[[1]] = (#1/a & ) /@ eqns[[1]];
eqns[[2]] = (#1/b & ) /@ eqns[[2]];
eqns[[3]] = (#1/c & ) /@ eqns[[3]];
eqns

{x == 0, y == 0, z == 0}

Is there a simpler method for doing the calculation in one statement with
functional programming, say using MapThread over eqns and {a,b,c}? Is there
any other simple approach?

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/