Real roots of polynomials

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24688] Real roots of polynomials
  • From: Jack Goldberg <jackgold at math.lsa.umich.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:19:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Suppose  Pn[x]  is a polynomial of degree n in x.  Its coefficients
are real.

Question:  What is a good way of determining the real roots of Pn
and their multiplicities?

	Use NSolve and "cast out" the complex roots and Chop any
	roots with a "too" small imaginary part (in case NSolve
	inserts spurious imaginary parts).
In cases where  n  is large and the number of real roots is small
compared to  n, one can imagine that better methods exist.  I have
searched MathSource with no real (pun intended) progress.  Possibly
this is more a math question than a Mathematica question.

Help is appreciated.

Jack