RE: Please help: display graph G=<V,E>

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24823] RE: [mg24812] Please help: display graph G=<V,E>
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:49:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Olivier,

First, have you checked out the Combinatorica package, which is part of the
Mathematica Standard Packages?

I have a package at my web site below called CombinatoricaPlots which
greatly extends the PlotGraph plotting command in Combinatorica. It allows
graphics directives to be given in some detail for both the edges and
vertices. It allows labels on both the vertices and edges, directed or
undirected. It allows positioning and directives for the arrows on the
edges. It allows general plotting options to be used in the graphics. There
is also a tutorial giving examples.

I have no experience with weighed graphs, but it certainly should be easy to
label the weights. I think that the Skiena graph structure has provision for
weighted edges. But in any case it should not be difficult to add an
additional structure which would carry weight information and which you
could use in your computations.

It is a shame that Steven Skiena's (the author of Combinatorica) book
"Implementating Discrete Mathematics: Combinatorics and Graph Theory with
Mathematica" is no longer in print. It is very useful in conjunction with
the Combinatorica package and contains all the code for the routines.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net