Re: make matrix animate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24921] Re: make matrix animate
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 01:35:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 19 Aug 2000, Borut L. wrote:

> I made a function that has many matrices as output. It's in fact puzzle 15
> board, where in sequent matrices zero (blank space) moves
> left/right/up/down. Is there a way to make a graphical animation (like
> Do[Plot[...) with my output?

Here is a possible approach for your problem, if your matrices contain
character data.

matrixPicture[mat_?MatrixQ, opts___?OptionQ] :=
  Graphics[Text[DisplayForm[MakeBoxes[MatrixForm[mat]]], {0, 0}],
    TextStyle -> {opts}]

This example generates several matrices as a sequence of graphics, which
may be animated just like any other group of Graphics style cells.

Scan[Show,
  Table[matrixPicture[{{i, i^2}, {i^3, i^4}}, FontSize -> 36], {i, 7}]]

If you are dealing with a matrix of colors, you are better off using the
Raster[] or RasterArray[] primitives.  See the Cellular Automata notebook
in the online demos to see one could write some visualization functions
for this purpose.

FrontEndExecute[
  FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup[
    "GettingStarted",