Re: Fitting a function to a list (newbie)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21860] Re: [mg21851] Fitting a function to a list (newbie)
  • From: BobHanlon at aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:54:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

f[x_] := 10. + 7.*Sin[3.x + 1.5]

data = Table[{x = Random[], f[x]}, {10}] // Sort;

Needs["Statistics`NonlinearFit`"]

Clear[x, a, b, c, d];

NonlinearFit[data, a + b*Sin[c*x + d], x, {a, b, c, d}]

10. + 7. Sin[20.4911 - 3. x]

{a, b, c, d} /. (BestFitParameters /.
      NonlinearRegress[data, a + b*Sin[c*x + d], x, {a, b, c, d}])

{10., 7., -3., 20.4911}

In general, the parameters will have to be adjusted because of the periodic
nature of the Sin function.

Bob Hanlon