Re: numeric inverse laplace transform of numeric data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21925] Re: numeric inverse laplace transform of numeric data
  • From: John Doty <jpd at w-d.org>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 02:54:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Why not use the Fourier transform? It has properties analogous to the
Laplace transform: you may think of it as the Laplace transform flipped
over on its side in the complex plane. It is appropriate for the same
sorts of jobs.

Note that the path integral method of analytically inverting the Laplace
transform implicitly converts it to a Fourier transform, and then
inverse Fourier transforms that!

I've never seen the Laplace transform used numerically. I suspect this
is because its inverse is numerically unstable. This does not, of
course, impede its use analytically.

--
John Doty		"You can't confuse me, that's my job."
Home: jpd at w-d.org
Work: jpd at space.mit.edu