Re: Interpolation vs. SplineFit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21927] Re: [mg21889] Interpolation vs. SplineFit
  • From: Bojan Bistrovic <bojanb at physics.odu.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 02:54:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Hello-
>
> What is the difference between a Cubic SplineFit and Interpolation with
> InterpolationOrder->3?  In the documentation, Interpolation works by fitting
> polynomials of the specified order over the data.  This is also the concept
> behind SplineFit.  When I have compared the two functions, the Interpolation
> function creates a "smoother" plot, however, it has some undesirable ripples.
> SplineFit more accurately interpolates the physical realities of the data, but
> cannot handle any data points outside the region of the original data set.  I
> would like to use Interpolation so that I can extrapolate beyond the original
> data range (carefully, of course).
>
> Mostly, I'm interested in the differences in how SplineFit and Interpolation
> create functions over the data.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt Johnson

Interpolation will always produce the function, and when I say function, I
mean in mathematical sense: for each "x" there's ONE AND ONLY ONE f[x]; spline
will fit it to a line in a plane, so for one "x" you can have more f[x]-es.
Look at NumericalMath`SplineFit` for examples.

Bojan

Bojan Bistrovic,                       bojanb at physics.odu.edu
Old Dominion University, Physics Department,      Norfolk, VA