Re: NDSolve series of ode with equilibrium conditions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21901] Re: NDSolve series of ode with equilibrium conditions
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 02:54:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

your equilibrium conditions turn the equations form ordinary
differential equations to  differential-algebraic equations.
This is a dramatic change.
a) solve the system with out the algebraic equations and keep
   your fingers crossed that the errors in the numerical solution
   violate your algebraic constrains not too strong.
b) you can try to eliminate some of the differntial equations
   using your algebraic equations i. e. replacing y1[t] in all
   equations by K*y2[t]*y3[t] and solve the smaller system
c) you can use a solution algorithm for differential-algebraic equations
   but Mathematica has no build-in solver for differential-algebraic
equations
   and the standard method work only for index 1 -- index 3 systems and
   have typical no stepsize control because the step size adjustment
   destroy the preservation of your algebraic equations

If you choose the last variant, I can give you a nice symmetric
projection
method for index 1 systems.

Hope that helps
  Jens