Re: Finding parts of Equations...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22068] Re: [mg22031] Finding parts of Equations...
  • From: Wagner Truppel <wtruppel at uci.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:04:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 2:38 AM -0500 on 2/11/00, Patrick E Crowe wrote:

>In other words, given some function F(t),
>I do not seem to be able to produce code that recognises that a*F(t)^b
>contains the function F(t), for any possible a and b (including other
>functions of t).

The construct

Cases[ exp, _F, { k, \[Infinity] }]

will find all occurrences, in the input expression exp, of
sub-expressions with head F, from levels k down to Infinity, in the
tree that represents the expression.

>Can anyone give me a few pointers, tell me of a good Mathematica programming
>book that discusses searching in depth (but is accessible to someone who,
>though having programming experience, is new to Mathematica), or direct me
>to a web site that can help me with what I am trying to do?  I thank you for
>your help in advance.

I highly recommend David Wagner's "Power Programming with
Mathematica, The Kernel". It's very readable, covers a lot of ground,
and has an excellent chapter on pattern matching.

Wagner (no, not the author I just referred to)