Re: string + variable order

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22096] Re: [mg22083] string + variable order
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 02:03:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

on 00.2.13 3:14 PM, Naum Phleger at naum at cava.physics.ucsb.edu wrote:

> I have a string, call it "m" and I want to write output that reads m=i
> where i is a variable.  if, say i=5 I want to write m=5, but if I try to do
> this by writing "m="i  Mathematica outputs 5a=  . How can I get around this.
>
> A more important question is does Mathematica 4.0 for macs have a bug in
> it's help browser?  When I use the back button it doesn't go to the last
> page but instead to a page about something related with a link to where I
> was.  I'm I mis using it or is it just broken.
>
> Thanks for any help, I know some of my questions are probably seem to
> basic for this site, but there things that have been bugging me for a long
> time while using Mathematica and never figured out.

Do you mean something like this:

In[1]:=
i = 5;

In[2]:=
"m = " <> ToString[i]

Out[2]=
"m = 5"

As for the Back button in the Help browser, at leas ton the Mac, I do not
now if there is a bug in it, but it certainly is confusing. For example,
suppose you are looking up Solve in the MasterIndex. You will links
belonging to different categories. Suppose you click on one of them. You
will be taken to that link and the entries in Goto field and the selected
category will in general change. Now if you click on the Back button the
entry in the Goto field will go back to the original Solve but the selected
category will become BuilInFunctions rather than MasterIndex.  So if you
really want to go back to MasterIndex to choose a different link it is
necessary to click on MasterIndex and again on Goto. I got used to doing
this sequence of clicks (Back-MasterIndex-GOTO) but it seems to me that this
isn't what is supposed to happen, is it?
This is at least what happens on my Mac and it does indeed look like a bug
to me, though it may also be just poor design.