Setting up a probability problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22150] Setting up a probability problem
  • From: "Ron Lenk" <Ron.Lenk at fairchildsemi.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 02:35:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm having trouble figuring out the mathematical formulation of this problem.
I have n events, each of which has probability P (say 20%) of occurring at any
given time. How large does n need to be in order to give me a confidence level c
(say 90%) that I have m (say 5) events occurring simultaneously? Help in
clarifying my thinking would be appreciated.