Re: algorithm to generate 1/f noise

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22262] Re: algorithm to generate 1/f noise
  • From: Artlandia Info <info at artlandia.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:00:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You might be referring to the article

Marvin S. Keshner, 1/f noise, Proc. IEEE, 1982, v. 70,
No. 3, p.212-218.

Yes, one can generate an *approximation* of 1/f noise by
superposition of Lorentzian spectra; the more sources,
the better approximation (the limit is given by
the corresponding integral).

On a practical note, the method I was referring to is
simpler, more direct, and in general faster.

Igor Bakshee