Re: Notional NotebookOpen Nonplus?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22306] Re: [mg22294] Notional NotebookOpen Nonplus?
  • From: Preston Nichols <pnichols at wittenberg.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 03:01:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

James,

Although your file "sample.nb" contains a Mathematica expression and has
the .nb extension, it's not a Notebook!

A Notebook is a file, which, as plain text, consists of a "Notebook
expression":

    Notebook[{Cell[...],...}]

and NotebookOpen[] works on files of that form.

One fix might be something like

tmp = Expand[(a + b)^3];
Notebook[{Cell[ToString[InputForm[tmp]], "Output"]}] >>"sample.nb"

But I get the impression that code such as the following is even more "in
the correct spirit" for Notebook manipulation, though it is probably not
verbatim what you'll want to do for your project.

tmpnb = NotebookCreate[];

NotebookWrite[tmpnb, "Expand[(a+b)^3]"];

SelectionMove[tmpnb, Previous, Cell];

SelectionEvaluateCreateCell[tmpnb];

NotebookSave[tmpnb, "sample.nb"]

NotebookClose[tmpnb];