Re: Building lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22328] Re: Building lists
  • From: Brian Higgins <bghiggins at ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:13:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <892pmg$pkl at smc.vnet.net>,
  "Tom De Vries" <tdevries at shop.westworld.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The graphics command below builds a simple bull's eye. (I used it for
> probability question in my math class)  It does what I want it to, but
with
> all the repetition I know that it is probably possible to do it more
simply.
>  It isn't so long but I figured I could learn something by seeing how
this
> command could be duplicated in different ways.   I was looking at
Thread but
> couldn't quite manage to get things to work out.   The specific colors
> aren't really important, but I did want to get each disk to be a
different
> color.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Tom De Vries
>
> Needs["Graphics`Colors`"]
>
> Show[Graphics[{
>
>         {Blue, Disk[{0, 0}, 200]},
>         {Red, Disk[{0, 0}, 180]},
>         {Purple, Disk[{0, 0}, 160]},
>         {Plum, Disk[{0, 0}, 140]},
>         {Gold, Disk[{0, 0}, 120]},
>         {Olive, Disk[{0, 0}, 100]},
>         {Pink, Disk[{0, 0}, 80]},
>         {Navy, Disk[{0, 0}, 60]},
>         {Mint, Disk[{0, 0}, 40]},
>         {Black, Disk[{0, 0}, 20]}
>
>         }],    AspectRatio -> Automatic,     PlotRange -> All,
> DefaultFont -> {"Times", 18}];
>
>Tom, Here is a possibility based on defining a color function for the
bull's eye:
Needs["Graphics`Colors`"]
colfunc = {Blue, Red, Purple, Plum, Gold, Olive , Pink, Navy,  Mint,
Black}

Show[Graphics[
      Map[{_#, Disk[{0, 0}, #]} &, Reverse[Range[20, 200, 20]]] /.
        Thread[ _ Reverse[Range[20, 200, 20]] -> colfunc],
       AspectRatio -> Automatic, PlotRange -> All, DefaultFont ->
{"Times", 18}]];

 Brian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.