Re: Lost myHead, please help !!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22371] Re: Lost myHead, please help !!!
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 22:04:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Antoine:

x = {{a}, {b, c}};

Apply[myHead, x]

myHead[{a}, {b, c}]

Abbreviation for Apply is

myHead @@ x

myHead[{a}, {b, c}]

And we can use ReplaceAll, but with a more discriminating pattern

x /. List[e___] -> myHead[e]

myHead[{a}, {b, c}]

Please note the search for parts to replace is top-down along branches, and
that having replaced {{a},{b,c}} with myHead[{a},{b,c}],no further work is
done on the new part, even though {a} and {b,c} both match List[e___].

news:897drf$5q0 at smc.vnet.net...