Re: linux question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22385] Re: linux question
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:55:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <897edo$5rj at smc.vnet.net>,
 Peter Jay Salzman <covenant at dirac.org> writes:

> i'm running mathematica on a linux system.  it was installed as root, and
> apparently, only runs when i'm root.  i don't want to run mathematica (let
> alone X) as root.  for the other user-space accounts, it wants a password
> again.
>
> there are a few accounts on my home system that i use -- one account
> specifically for my oral's research, one general purpose, one for some
> papers i'm writing.  i'd like to be able to use mathematica from all of
> them.
>
> do i have any options other than having a separate license for each account
> (which i obviously won't do).

A default Mathematica installation performed by the super user should
allow other users on the system to run Mathematica as well.  It may be
helpful for you to describe in more precise terms what happens when
a regular user invokes either the "math" or "Mathematica" scripts.  The
wording of any error messages you encounter may provide some clues as
to where the launch is failing.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com