Re: 4.0.0.0 Q/bugs?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21467] Re: 4.0.0.0 Q/bugs?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:17:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 10 Jan 2000 axc at boes.ces.cwru.edu wrote:

> I'm using Mathematica 4.0.0.0 (under win95) and suddenly it no longer
> highlights parentheses (i.e. when checking balance in expressions). Is
> this a feature that is switchable on/off, and if so where is it in the
> preference menu?

The option is named ShowAutoStyles.  Setting this option to True enables
the bracket coloring.  It can be found in the Editing Options subsection
of the Option Inspector dialog when options are displayed by category.
Be sure that the option is enabled for the global scope and that you don't
have the option set to False at the notebook scope.

> If not anyone else enountered this problem?
>
> There are some other strange glitches, like in some situations when
> clicking on the 2x2 matrix icon in the basic palette, it gets pasted
> as \!\(\*
>   RowBox[{"(", GridBox[{
>         {"\[Placeholder]", "\[Placeholder]"},
>         {"\[Placeholder]", "\[Placeholder]"}
>         }], ")"}]\)
>
> instead of the usual nice matrix form. What's up with that? Do I need
> to reinstall?

What is the style and format type of the cell that you're attempting to
paste to?  This may happen if you are attempting to paste the box
structure in a plain text cell where the option AllowInlineCells has been
set to False.  In order to have the box structured rendered properly, the
front end must be allowed to create an inline cell within the parent cell.
The fact that the option is false forces just the literal underlying
expression to be pasted.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com