Corrupted notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21682] Corrupted notebook
  • From: jvera at adinet.com.uy
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:52:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear members,

A notebook of mine, containing painfully gathered
work of mine, is now corrupted.

I browsed through MathGroup archives and found
Corruption.m . I successfully installed and ran it,
using a command that started writing my file cell
by cell to a new notebook, named Untitled-2.

This process went on and on, for more than 12
hours. (Yes, I know, my processor is slow, with a
fast one it would have been 3 or 4 hours). I went
to bed and my PC went on working.

In the morning I went directly to the machine,
anxious to see my brand new corrected file.

I only found the kernel opened. The 2 notebooks
that were running (Untitled-1 performing the
Corruption.m tasks, and Untitled-2) were now closed.

What happened to the very long list of cells that
were written to Untitled-2? Are they lost, or lying
somewhere in the kernel? I am affraid to close it,
since I could lose the information.

I had seen postings in MathGroup about corrupted
files, but, as it often happens, did not think it
would occur to me. In my study fo related postings
in MathGroup, I saw about an interesting way of
doing a backup copy, by changing some kernel general
setting that eliminates all of the outputs. I did
not find out how does it work yet, though.

I am really scared. Maybe I could get some help on
the issue, as I have done previously. This list is
very useful.

I also would be glad to know of anything like an online
support for Mathematica users, where one could solve
emergencies like this one. The WRI pages where I got the
Corruption.m application gave no tips about the way the
package was going to work.

Thank you very much.

Julio Vera
Alenar SA