Re: Mathematica on the Web

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21728] Re: Mathematica on the Web
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 03:45:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Alan!

Alan Lewis wrote:

> I have some Mathematica code I would like to implement on the
> Web in an interactive manner. Ignoring the licensing issue for the
> moment, some questions.
>
> Is it possible for a java applet to call Mathematica and receive back
> values (including graphics) for display?

You might be interested in J/Link by Wolfram Research:
http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/mathlink/jlink/
It allows what you are asking for on a local machine with the
Java-Applet running locally (not in the web).

> How about just calling the graphics routines?

Same problem.

> (I ask this because I have seen some links
> to Graphics3D viewers, although these viewers do not seem to
> be interactive, in the sense that you can change Module parameters)

That's right. An alternative is to implement the numerical parts
of the Mathematica-Code in JavaScript and call the graphics viewer
with it. In the example at

http://wwwvis.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~kraus/LiveGraphics3D/java_script/SphericalHarmonics.html

the SphericalHarmonicY function was symbolically evaluated with
Mathematica
for particular L values. The symbolic results were implemented in
JavaScript
and are then numerically evaluated with JavaScript in order to plot the
graphics which are displayed with a Java applet.

> More generally, what is the most straightforward way to call Mathematica
> and return html dynamically? Are there any examples of this besides
> integration servers?

There are still some MathScript applications on the web
http://www.mathscript.com and
http://www.optics.Arizona.EDU/jcwyant/math.htm
but as far as I know MathScript was never released as a commercial
product.

You might also be interested to have a look at http://www.imath.org/

> Any comments or links highly appreciated.
> Alan Lewis

I am afraid all these approaches will not do want you want.
J/Link might do it in the future.

Sorry.

Martin Kraus