Re: Problem with evaluation of delayed rules

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21758] Re: Problem with evaluation of delayed rules
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:56:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Eckhard,

More thoughts

Investigating the Trott-Strzebonski method for In-Place Evaluation (see
Robby Villegas:
http://library.wolfram.com/conferences/devconf99/villegas/UnevaluatedExpress
ions.nb)
Lead me to

If[x > 0, Difference[1, 2], Difference[3, 4]] /. Difference[x_, y_] :>
    Block[{}, symbols[[x]] - symbols[[y]] /; True]

If[x > 0, a - b, c - d]

And tracing the evaluation of this shows that the main work is done by the
internal function RuleCondition.

If[x > 0, Difference[1, 2], Difference[3, 4]] /. Difference[x_, y_] :>
    RuleCondition[symbols[[x]] - symbols[[y]], True]

If[x > 0, a - b, c - d]

So it seems that, as with Hartmut Wolf's solution, we need to wrap the right
side of the rules appropriately.

I'll get back on the evaluation steps later.

Allan
Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting
Leicester UK