Keeping Invisible Commas invisible

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24310] Keeping Invisible Commas invisible
  • From: Chris Tiee <choni at my-deja.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 04:52:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Whenever I use the invisible comma on symbolic input,
Mathematica makes the comma visible in the output. I'm curious
about how to keep the comma invisible.

I was wandering through the Mathematica Formula Gallery and
saw the demonstration "Product of two five-dimensional totally
antisymmetric tensors" and was wondering how in the world did
they manage to generate that (I would think, in the demonstration
of all of Mathematica's power, they did not have a person just type
the whole thing out). Upon cutting and pasting the entire
expression into a cell and fiddling with the formats and styles and
such, I discovered that they had used invisible commas, because
they all became visible!

As it turns out, it wasn't too difficult to make a program that would
generate the product of antisymmetric tensors with an arbitrary
number of indices in terms of all the delta's; it only took one line!
But no matter how I defined it, with visible or invisible commas,
they came out all visible.

Is there a formatting option that would allow control of this? Again,
I'm pretty sure that the ones who designed the gallery did not in
fact try to replace an enormous amount of visible commas and
make them invisible. I know that just about any aspect of
formatting in the front end can be controlled, but getting lost in that
Option Inspector is something I do frequently :-)

thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Tiee "Choni" | Primary email: choni at
home.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.