Re: Divisors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24357] Re: [mg24272] Divisors
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 04:53:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

There is a problem with the algorithm I described earlier. One has to avoid
multiplying elements like d1 by the primes p1 and p2 again  as this would
not in general be a divisor. Thus one needs to keep track of the positions
of the primes  (since p1, p2 etc. can be equal). So it maybe better to store
the primes in the form {{1},p1},{{2},p2} and divisors (like d1 in my earlier
message) obtained by multiplying  {{1},p1} and {{2},p2} in the form
{{1,2},p1*p2}. Two divisors {{i1,i2,i3...},d1}, {{j1,j2,...},d2} are
multiplied (to give {Union[{i1,...},{j1,..}],d1*d2)) only if the lists
{i1,i2,...}, {j1,j2,...} are disjoint. (In other words, we have a "partial
monoid" of "divisors"). With these changes the program works as  below.  The
programming becomes somewhat more complicated but, it seems to me still not
too difficult.

Andrzej

--
Andrzej Kozlowski