Re: FixedPoint vs. FixedPointList

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24431] Re: [mg24384] FixedPoint vs. FixedPointList
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:58:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here is one (very standard) way illustrated with the well known example of
the function whose FixedPoint gives an approximate value of Sqrt[2]:

In[1]:=
sq[x_] := (x + 2/x)/2

In[2]:=
index = 0

In[3]:=
FixedPoint[(index++; sq[#]) &, 1.]
Out[3]=
1.41421

In[4]:=
Out[4]=
6

Andrzej

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University, JAPAN

For Mathematica related links and resources try:
<http://www.sstreams.com/Mathematica/>