Re: Book quality layout in vers 4 (towards Quark)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24454] Re: Book quality layout in vers 4 (towards Quark)
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:58:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> you hit the fase news group, this is the news group about
> computer algebra not typesetting.

No -- this is a newsgroup about Mathematica.  sci.math.symbolic is a
newsgroup about computer algebra.

>The correct news group is
>
> comp.text.tex

No -- that is a newsgroup about TeX.

> Ups -- Mathematica notebooks have no footnotes,
> a small program that scan all Cell[_,"Section"], Cell[_"Subsection"]
> will create a table of contents but with out page numbers
> very useful;-) but it may setup hyperlinks.
> (A a page number is generated only for the print out environment
> and in the notebook itself is no reference to the actual
> "page number" in it is hidden in the PrintOptions[] as Counter["Page"]
> and you can't find out from a Cell[] on what page it is printed.)

The Publicon tools can do this.

> I have seen d PhD thesis written in notebook format and
> it looks very lousy (it was a Math 3.0 notebook).
> Paul Abott may help you because he was the super
> visor of the PhD thesis.

Which thesis are you referring to (I have not supervised a PhD thesis
produced using Mathematica).  Perhaps you mean the 4th year
undergraduate report by David Whyte?  Remember that this report was
produced by the student after one year's exposure to Mathematica.  And,
the Mathematica code is not bad at all.

There are a number of other reports at

   http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul/publications.html

I would be interested to know exactly what is lousy about the Notebooks
at this site as I'm always trying to improve them :-)

 > You may look at the publicon site of wri
>
> http://www.wolfram.com/products/publicon/
>
> the Style sheets will work with minor
> modifications with Mathematica.

Having just completed a book for Cambridge University Press, solely
using Notebooks, I can say that there are strengths and weaknesses of
the Publicon tools. The major one is the lack of self-indexing running
heads.  However, the indexing tools are good. The table of contents tool
is ok but needs improvement.  Also, it would be nice if n-column layout
was possible.  However, neither Mathematica nor TeX are "page-layout"
programs.

> Since you must edit the exported TeX file it is
> much better to use TeX from the beginning and
> insert some nice figures and TeXForm[]s

Why do you need to use TeX?  Why do you want to convert an active,
executable document to something that is dead and static?  Why would
anyone ever want to do such a bad thing!?

> TeX macros are more easy than to create and handle
> 50-200 style box types.

Depends on if you really know how to use the front end or not ...

Cheers,
   Paul

The University of Western Australia
Nedlands WA  6907