generation of N! unitary permutation operators for permuting the N states (qubits) of a 2^N-dimensional Hilbert space

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23794] generation of N! unitary permutation operators for permuting the N states (qubits) of a 2^N-dimensional Hilbert space
  • From: slater at itp.ucsb.edu (Paul Slater)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 02:59:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want (for N =3,...7 presently) to generate the N!  2^N x 2^N unitary
permutation matrices that when applied to 2^N x 2^N density matrices
accordingly permute the states of the N two-level quantum systems (qubits).

In particular, can one make use of built-in MATHEMATICA commands like
ThreeJSymbol in all this?

I'm not sure what the computational complexity of a good algorithm would
be at this point, but I'm not presently primarily concerned with that issue,
but am just looking for a "reasonable" algorithm, at least as a starting point.

Paul B. Slater