Re: PDE's?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23775] Re: PDE's?
  • From: Rob Knapp <rknapp at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 02:59:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

David Punsalan wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I need to solve some partial differential equations (1 space dim, 1 time
> dimentsion, e.g. the heat equation, Fick's second law) with initial and
> boundary conditions.  In some cases, I'll need to solve non-linear, second
> order partial differential equations. I was wondering if Mathematica (standard, w/o any extra toolkits or
> packages) can do it.

DSolve can compute symbolic solutions to a limited set of PDE's

NSDolve can compute approximate numerical solutions to 1 + 1 dimensional
nonlinear PDE's or systems of PDE's which can be specified as Cauchy
problems (initial values for "time").  This class certainly includes the
heat equation.

Rob Knapp
Wolfram Research, Inc.