Re: rounding off numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23922] Re: rounding off numbers
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:57:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In Mathematica 4.0, Windows version, the result is:

    N[81.3736 + (9 - 4)*0.001, 4]
81.3786

How about the following:

   x = 81.3736; n = 2;
   10.^(-n) Round[10^n x]
81.37

Or:

  N[10^(-2) Round[10^2 x]]
81.37

However, your question raises the issue of why you would want to round
numbers during computation.  If all you really need is to round the
final result of a computation, then this becomes a matter of display.
So you could use, for example:

  NumberForm[x, 4]
"81.37"

(The actual result shown in the notebook is a NumberForm output cell
with a label such as "Out[nn]//NumberForm="  instead of the usual

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Univ. of Massachusetts                     413 545-2859 (W)
Amherst, MA 01003-4515