Re: Laguueree polynomials

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24001] Re: Laguueree polynomials
  • From: "A. E. Siegman" <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 01:45:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <8ihus7$lds at smc.vnet.net>, Wissam Alsaidi
<alsaidi at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have done some calculation in mathematica which involves adding and
> plotting like thousand of Laguueree polynomials with n between 0 and 5 and
> the angular index which is as big as 500.These polynomials are highly
> oscillatory functions.I did nor recieve any error message  through out the
> calculation.My question is to what extent I can trust the graph I am
> getting.In fact I suspect that the result is true form physical arguments
> so can I trust the mathematica part of the calulation and look for another
> source of error.
>
> Thanks  in advance.
> Wissam

Can't answer your direct question, but I have done expansions using very
high *order* Hermite or Laguerre polynomials with moderately large
arguments and found that I got much better accuracy if the arguments
were totally integer in character, e.g. f[1001/1000] was much more
accurate (at large orders) than f[1.001] -- presumably because the first
case expands the polynomial using purely integer arithmetic (?).