Sequence of functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24065] Sequence of functions
  • From: "Souvik Banerjee" <s-banerjee at nwu.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:01:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear MathGroup Members,

I am having a problem with defining a sequence of functions. A highly
simplified version of the problem is given below:

Suppose I define a function as follows, where the argument B is another
function and ls is a list of numbers:

Fx[ft_] := Block[ {g, h},
    Do[
      g[i][t_] := Sum[h[j][t], {j, i - 1}]; (* usually a more complicated
function of h[j][t], j=1,...,i-1 here *)
      Plot[g[i][t], {t, 0, 4}];
      h[i][t_] := g[i][t]; (* usually a more complicated function of g[i][t]
here *)
      Plot[h[i][t], {t, 0, 4}],
      {i, 1, 3}]
    ]

and then suppose we call Fx as
Fx[{1, 2, 3}]

Then at the beginning of the second iteration it says that the recursion
depth is exceeded. I believe that this is happening because when it tries to
evaluate g[2][t] it looks for h[1][t], but now h[1][t] is getting (wrongly)
defined in terms of the current i (= 2) and hence goes into the recursion.

How to get around this problem?

Thanks,

-Souvik