Re: imposing side conditions on Solve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24073] Re: [mg24029] imposing side conditions on Solve
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:26:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Allan,

The first example,
In[9]:=
Solve[{x + y == 2, x == a, y == a}, {x, y, a}]

Out[9]=
{{x -> 1, y -> 1, a -> 1}}

is just a system of three equations in three unknowns, without parameters.
Solve gives the expected unique solution.

In[10]:=
Solve[{x + y == 2, x == a, y == a}, {x, y}, {a}]

Out[10]=
{{x -> 1, y -> 1}}

In the next one Mathematica was instructed to solve the equations by first
eliminating a. Mathematica first eliminates a, getting a system of two
equations

In[21]:=
Eliminate[{x + y == 2, x == a, y == a}, {a}]

Out[21]=
x == y && y == 1

and then solves these two. So the question of non-genericity does not arise.
Finally

In[25]:=
Solve[{x + y == 2, x == a, y == a}]

Out[25]=
{{a -> 1, x -> 1, y -> 1}}

This is really just the same as the first case since when you do not
explicitly specify the variables Mathematica tries to solve for all the
implied variables.

I think the order in which you enter your variables is in fact significant.
If you do not enter them explicitly Mathematica uses canonical ordering.
Solve makes use of GroebnerBasis and in that case just changing the order of
variables can make a big difference to the time taken to complete the
computation. I think this should also be true for Solve, but do not have an
example at hand. That is something Dan Lichtblau certainly knows!

Andrzej