I'm lacking machine-sized real numbers again, help please.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24146] I'm lacking machine-sized real numbers again, help please.
  • From: piovere at pdq.net (rob)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 02:12:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm getting hit by another lack of machine-sized real numbers again:

w0=1; a=0.05;
y[w_]:= FourierTransform[UnitStep[t] Exp[-(a +I w0)t],t,w]

I now try to plot it and I get my usual failure to do right evidenced
by the thing not being "...a machine sized real number ".

So, I try to evaluate it at one point (I'm typing all this because
cutting and pasting never works for Mathematica text).

evaluating y[2] gives

(0.01 +0.40 I) + DiracDelta[1+0.05 I]

Seems to me like DiracDelta[1+0.05 I] should be zero but I can't get
it to go away and it appears to keep me from using the function at
all.  I'm getting nowhere.... can someone offer a suggestion of what
to do next?

Thanks, Rob

Please use robpeterson at iname.com for email.
http://freeweb.pdq.net/piovere