Re: Q: Rookie question ..

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22548] Re: [mg22467] Q: Rookie question ..
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 03:24:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>In Mathematica 3.0, can you do a SurfaceOfRevolution WITHOUT the mesh?
>... I tried Mesh->False, no luck .. I turned the option off in
>Preferences but then lost the Box .. Any help is appreciated ..
>
>-joe

Joe,

Mesh is not a Graphics3D option, although it is easy to make the mistake of thinking
it is. Mesh is an option for SurfaceGraphics (as in Plot3D) or DensityGraphics. To
turn the polygon edges in Graphics3D off you have to use the EdgeForm[] graphics
primitive. This can be inserted in the third form of ParametricPlot3D, but I did not
find any direct method of inserting it in SurfaceOfRevolution plots. However, the
following worked:

Show[Graphics3D[EdgeForm[]],
    SurfaceOfRevolution[{x, Sin[x]}, {x, 0, 2 Pi},
      DisplayFunction -> Identity]];

The DrawingCube packages, available at my web site, offer what I think is a more
natural method of handling these problems.

Needs["Graphics`DrawingCube`"]
Needs["Graphics`DrawingSurfaceOfRevolution`"]

Show[Graphics3D[
{EdgeForm[], DrawSurfaceOfRevolution[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}]}]];

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/